Dr. Richard Nkulikiyinka
MSc, MB BChir, MRCP
Chief Medical Officer
• Richard brings 20 years of combined professional experience in clinical practice and pharmaR&D, most recently holding the position of Vice President, Head of the Therapeutic Area Cardiology, Nephrology and Pulmonology within global Clinical Development & Operations at Bayer.
• Richard obtained his BA and his medical degree from the University of Cambridge (UK), followed by clinical practice in the UK National Health Service (NHS), with a focus on acute medicine and intensive care. He obtained his qualification in general internal medicine (Membership of the Royal College of Physicians, UK) in 2007. He later also completed a Masters in Epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (UK).
• Richard joined Bayer in 2008, working in Oncology Drug Safety, where he was part of the global project team that brought regorafenib (Stivarga ®) to the market for the first 2 indications. Richard subsequently moved to the independent Bayer subsidiary, Intendis GmbH, a mature biotech focused on Dermatology. He headed the late development clinical team and drove the Phase III development and NDA approval for Finacea Foam ® for rosacea.
• Returning to Bayer, Richard continued to head clinical development teams of increasing size and scope, eventually becoming Head of Therapeutic Area Cardiology & Nephrology in 2017 (plus Pulmonology since 2022). In this role, Richard provided portfolio steering and strategic input from start of preclinical development until regulatory approval (up to 15 parallel pipeline programs), in addition to guiding the planning and execution of Phase II - III clinical trials. He oversaw the Phase III programs and NDA approvals for vericiguat (Verquvo ®) in HF with reduced ejection fraction, and finerenone (Kerendia ®) in Chronic Kidney Disease with type 2 diabetes.
• Richard has worked with a wide variety of stakeholders to advance an agenda of innovation in clinical trial design and execution. He has published and talked extensively on the topic.